Sunday 20 February 2011

26 miles...but faster this time!

This week I did the same route as last weekend but in reverse (Dawlish to Exeter and back). I went with my friend Dan, who teaches PE and coaches football, and does not know the word 'slack' or 'rest'  - which proved a very good motvational tool.

As I was doing the same route as before, I decided it would be a good idea to time it so that I can get a good idea of my average mph and get an idea of what pace I will need to be setting for myself on the actual cycle to Paris.

Not including a break for some lunch, it took 2 hours and 20 minutes, which I think is more than reasonable. I did it on the mountain bike too as I don't have the equipment for spares/repairs on the road bike and didn't want to risk getting a puncture/flat tyre and not being able to fix it (26 miles is a long way to cycle but even longer to walk while pushing/carrying a bike!). With that in mind, I can safely assume that I will be able to go further/faster on a road bike with the same level of effort.

One of the great things about doing this is how good it has been at motivating other people. A lot of my friends and family have been keen to get out their old bikes and dust them off ready to come out for the day with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment